Autodesk Announces New Infrastructure Modeling Software for Utilities, Telecommunications and Governments
Autodesk announced new Infrastructure Modeling software products, which help users in utilities, telecommunications organizations and government agencies improve the design and management of their infrastructure. Autodesk’s portfolio of products — including AutoCAD Map 3D 2010, AutoCAD Raster Design 2010, Autodesk MapGuide Enterprise 2010, and Autodesk Topobase 2010 — provides users with an intelligent and comprehensive solution for designing, visualizing, simulating and analyzing infrastructure assets and development plans.
In a recent live webcast, Jay Bhatt, Autodesk senior vice president for AEC Solutions, addressed technology’s critical role in the design and management of infrastructure. By using Autodesk Infrastructure Modeling technologies, customers can now aggregate multiple sources of data from CAD, GIS and 3D modeling systems — allowing them to help improve the design of new systems and manage already constructed infrastructure more efficiently.
“Infrastructure Modeling helps professionals build an integrated digital model and make better, faster decisions, whether they are designing smart electric utility grids, planning city projects, or managing complex telecommunications networks,” said Bhatt. “Because Autodesk provides both design and asset management solutions, it is uniquely positioned to support the entire Infrastructure Modeling process.”
Autodesk’s Infrastructure Modeling software products provide users with world class design, mapping, data aggregation and management tools they need across the infrastructure design and management workflow. Autodesk announced new versions of the following products:
AutoCAD Map 3D 2010
AutoCAD Map 3D 2010 software is a leading engineering solution for creating and managing spatial data. Using open-source Feature Data Object (FDO) data access technology, AutoCAD Map 3D 2010 software provides direct access to the leading data formats used in design and GIS and enables the use of AutoCAD software tools for maintaining a broad variety of spatial information. For the Infrastructure Modeling process, AutoCAD Map 3D 2010 brings together geospatial, civil engineering, and utility network data into a common CAD environment. New features in AutoCAD Map 3D 2010 include:
- Increased Options for Importing Survey Data–AutoCAD Map 3D survey functionality focuses on asset data collection and mapping. This functionality helps users organize, manage, and integrate their field collected data within the AutoCAD Map 3D environment.
- Enhanced Data Analysis Capabilities–Seven new overlay operations enhance the analytical capabilities of AutoCAD Map 3D 2010 geospatial software. Users can compare or combine FDO-connected data stores for improved decision making.
- New Workflow Framework (feature that I’ve proudly designed in collaboration with Autodesk Product Designer Christian Beck)–Using Windows Workflow Foundation, AutoCAD Map 3D makes it easy to automate repetitive tasks using a new and powerful workflow framework and user interface. This framework makes it easy to build, save, and share simple and complex workflows using a visual editor.
AutoCAD Raster Design 2010
AutoCAD Raster Design 2010 software extends the power of AutoCAD software and AutoCAD-based products by enabling engineers and designers to use scanned paper drawings, maps, satellite images, aerial photos, and similar digital imagery within their design projects. With this tool, designers can easily turn scanned designs into digital CAD data that can be incorporated into infrastructure models. AutoCAD Raster Design 2010 includes the following new features:
- Support for additional AutoCAD Products–Now compatible with AutoCAD P&ID, AutoCAD Civil, and Autodesk Topobase software.
- More Deployment Options–Citrix Ready application, enabling deployment via a Citrix application delivery environment when used with AutoCAD Map 3D 2010 software.
Autodesk MapGuide Enterprise 2010
Autodesk MapGuide Enterprise 2010 software is a powerful mapping platform for delivering CAD and GIS information quickly, easily, and cost-effectively via the web. It helps to maximize the value of design and spatial data by enabling information sharing with customers and internal teams, as well as integrating with enterprise applications. Autodesk MapGuide Enterprise 2010 offers improved performance, raster reprojection capability, and new FDO providers for Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and GE Energy Smallworld. In addition, Autodesk MapGuide Studio 2010, the authoring environment for Autodesk MapGuide Enterprise 2010, will be offered free to Autodesk MapGuide Enterprise subscription customers.
Autodesk Topobase 2010
Autodesk Topobase 2010 infrastructure model management software provides a single source of accurate network information for maintenance, planning, reporting, and integration into asset management and operational systems. Built on AutoCAD Map 3D and Autodesk MapGuide software, Topobase is an open solution with industry-specific workflows that helps customers reduce backlogs, enhance data quality and improve operational efficiency. New features in Topobase 2010 include simplified underground asset profile creation tools; enhanced reporting and charting capabilities; improved Web performance; and easier and greater control over user access.